Wednesday, November 4, 2009


After my parents left, it was time to focus on Halloween. A few days before my parents came, a bunch of us went to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. It's a huge celebration that takes place like 18 different nights between the end of September and Halloween. There's a completely different parade, trick-or-treating throughout the entire park, characters decked out in costume, and EPIC fireworks. It was so much. A bunch of us went as Peter Pan characters, with me going as Michael Darling, brother of Wendy. Yes, that is a woman's nighty. It was a challenge to find one not overwhelmingly gay. Who would have foreseen that as a problem?

I also went to another Halloween party, and for this one, I was Marty McFly. Most people got it, so that was good. I was considering Duffman from The Simpsons, but that
would have been a) more involved and b) not sure how many people would have gotten it. But still, being Marty in the Florida warmth = poor choice. I guess I'm used to it being cold on Halloween. Silly me.

The other part of my life that is hectic is making sure I have some good contacts going on before the end of my program. It is ALL about networking 'round these parts. Luckily, it's very easy to do. We have fantastic management at Safaris who are so willing to help anyone that is wanting and deserving. I've spoken with at least two managers, and the most recent meeting was with Kevin. He told me that he sees a great cast member who comes to work everyday, does a good job, and then goes home. He told me I need to start going that extra mile and that he needs more Eric in his face. I told him I'm honestly afraid of stepping on toes around here and he told me not to be. If I get like that, he'll tell me to calm down, since he's already relayed that message to some cast members and they haven't taken the hint. Unfortunately, we all know who he's talking about.

I also had a meet and greet with Tami, someone who works with Magic Music Days. However, that program is getting a name change. To appeal to a more broad spectrum than just bands, like dancers, it will now be called Disney Performing Arts. The name change also brings more credibility to the program. Unfortunately, it's challenging to get into that position, but after my discussion with her, it sounds like the role of Production Assistant would be great for me. I would assist Production Managers with the day-to-day activities of a live show, like Indiana Jones or Lights! Motor! Action! Stunt Show. She gave me all the info on how to get into that.

In my marketing class, we met with an individual who does handles all the special events that Disney does, like Not-So-Scary, Very Merry Christmas, Food and Wine, etc. Her job sounds AWESOME. It's even harder to get into that select group, but most of them have come from Guest Relations. Guest Relations puts you through a lot of situations where anything can occur. They want someone who can really think on their toes. So maybe that's the role for me...

Oh! And I got to ride Rock'n Roller Coaster with the lights on. That was, if anything, more intense than with the lights off. The housing structure is surprisingly small. We got a backstage tour on everything there as well as at Tower of Terror. We didn't get to ride TOT with the lights on, but I think that's better for me since it's my favorite ride and the magic remains preserved.

That basically brings you up to speed. I just had an interview for the Youth Events Professional Internship which would have me directly working with the Disney Jazz Festival and Festival Disney, also a music festival. I think I would be perfect for this internship, plus it pays waaaay better than safaris. Like twice better ($13/hour). Miss everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment