Saturday, August 22, 2009

Training

The training for my position covered 5 days. So Sunday through Thursday, I have been getting my head filled with information. I always thought the job, or role as Disney calls it, was fairly simple. However, driving and spieling (reciting a script to guests) is actually the easiest part.

Day 1 I met my trainer, Ginni, a 5-foot nothing fireball of a lady who just happens to be 62. I was totally thrown off, but she doesn't beat around the bush. She tells it like it is, and luckily we got along quite well the whole week. So that first day consisted of walking around the park and learning all the land positions. However, before that, I got to do something pretty cool. When the park opens everyday, they select about 5-6 families to be on the first safari of the day. After that, they pick one more family to 'open' the park. So, I and another cast member held the ends of the ceremonial rope while the two people chosen held the middles. It's cool for the families and acts for us as a way to slow down people trying to run into the park. Either way, fun way to start my first day. I also got to drive the truck through the ride, sans guests, which was fun. I also typed out the whole script which ended up being 14 pages. Not all of it is required, only the certain parts that keep the story together as well as the conservation messages about certain animals. There are also about 25 animals throughout the trail and we must know 2 facts about each one. Unfortunately, those jerks sometimes appears out of order or grouped together with several different species. But, that variety is what makes the job great.

Day 2 we opened a truck, which involves a meticulous checklist, and took it out on the ride path so I could practice my spiel. The second time through, however, Ginni loaded guests onto the vehicle! I was driving, she was spieling. We did that twice, then switched places, her driving and me spieling. Good fun. Wrapped up the day with some e-learning, aka, watching 'awesome' safety videos online. Not fun.

Day 3. I did a dry run driving and spieling. After we docked and I prepared to do another dry run...but that wily Ginni opened up them doors and loaded me some passengers. So there I was, day 3 and taking passengers already. I did pretty well, and even got some applause (didn't matter to me that Ginni did say that it was my first safari). I ended doing 3 more rounds that day and got pretty comfortable. In the afternoon, I did most of the land positions, and Ginni said that I must be more charming when around guests. Once I get comfortable, it shouldn't be a problem. But like I said, there are tons of things to consider with the different positions. Plus, you really have to be on top of things since guests are just looking for a reason to walk all over you.

Day 4 I took another 3 rounds of guests and finished doing the land positions. Just for fun, they are info guide (person at the stand-by entrance), booking (fast-pass distribution), check-in (checking fast-passes), booking coordinator (takes the fast-passes and regulates the line), gatekeeper (looks for persons in wheelchairs and directs them to the right place), departure (puts guests into rows), departure assist (opens gates and closes doors of truck), departure 3 (seat guests in wheelchairs and their parties, parks wheelchairs/ECVs, and gets them ready for when they return. Hell of a job), and pram parking (stoller valet). As you can see, lots of stuff for lots of positions. In all of those, you must keep in character and put on good show. Later in the day some more training and whatnot.

Day 5 had me go out to Rafiki's Planet Watch, which is a place that has many more animals including cotton-topped tamarins, snakes, prehistoric things, cameras to look at animals that you can adjust yourself, etc. Ginni just wanted me to know what's out there for when guests asked. The only big thing I did that day was drive a departure 3 truck, just so I knew how to dock and whatnot. When I was getting grilled at the end of the day, though, my brain was shot.

Tomorrow I get assessed, just to see if I can go out on my own. I'm not nervous, but then at the same time, who am I kidding? Being jittery is my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment