Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Finding a Purpose

Disney Cast Members really only have four rules to follow:

1. I project a positive image and energy
2. I am courteous to all guests, including children
3. I stay in character and play the part
4. I go above and beyond

Obviously, the last one is what Disney is known for. New cast members are required to take a two-hour class emphasizing the importance of these 'commandments'. I thought it was going to suck, frankly, but it really reinforced my decision to come here. I know it's early to find a purpose in life, but if anything, this is a temporary if not permanent place for me in life. Going that extra mile for people feels pretty great.


King Triton, looking like a crazy old man

These Basics, as they are called, are derived from hundreds upon hundreds of guests who have visited the parks. Disney spoke with first-time guests, seasoned vets, old guests, young guests, newlyweds, recently divorced, and individuals of many different cultures. Our instructor told us that she could go on for hours about their responses...but they all boiled down to roughly these Basics. All guests also said that no one goes home and talks about how awesome Pirates was, they talk about the cast members. Every person that works here could tell you plenty of stories of how they have made someone's day by completing the simplest of gestures. I had one of these yesterday.

I was working Gatekeeper, which is the cast member that lets through individuals in wheelchairs to get them on the properly suited truck. There's a gate in the middle and on either side are short aisles that keep track of how many people go through line. We weren't very busy and both sides were way open, so I was directing guests through both sides. I had a little boy of probably 3ish and wearing a birthday button walk up with his dad. He looked confused which side to use, so I asked him since it was his birthday, which side he want to use? He was still a little confused, so I pointed to my right and said, 'Well, this is the side for birthday boys'. That helped him and off he went to ride safari. A little while later, they both came back through line. There were a bit more people and the side to my left was open, so I directed them through there. But he was confused and I realized why, because he said to me, pointing to my right, 'But that's the side for birthday boys'. It was really cute and made my day.



We went to Spectromagic last night and did a quick ride of the Jungle Cruise, the 'antithesis' of Kilimanjaro Safaris. But we like it anyway; not all jokes are acceptable on our attraction, so that's why we dig Jungle Cruise to a certain extent. I also had a couple friends ride my safari today and it was fun, despite good natured heckling. Hopefully Hollywood Studios Friday, my day off, to have a fun day and find some hidden mickeys.


I hope everyone is doing well. I'm really starting to miss friends, especially with Stanley Cup coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment